Table of Contents
Personal DataCategories of Personal Data We Collect
This chart details the categories of Personal Data that we collect and have collected over the past 12 months:Categories of Sources of Personal Data
We collect Personal Data about you from the following categories of sources:
- When you provide such information directly to us.
- When you create an account or use our interactive tools and Services.
- When you voluntarily provide information in free-form text boxes through the Services or through responses to surveys or questionnaires.
- When you send us an email or otherwise contact us.
- When you use the Services and such information is collected automatically.
- Through Cookies (defined in the “Tracking Tools and Opt-Out” section below).
- If you download and install certain applications and software we make available, we may receive and collect information transmitted from your computing device for the purpose of providing you the relevant Services, such as information regarding when you are logged on and available to receive updates or alert notices.
- When you provide such information directly to us.
- Third Parties
- We may use analytics providers to analyze how you interact and engage with the Services, or third parties may help us provide you with customer support.
- Advertising Partners.
- We receive information about you from some of our vendors who assist us with marketing or promotional services related to how you interact with our websites, applications, products, Services, advertisements or communications.
- Social Networks.
- If you provide your social network account credentials to us or otherwise sign in to the Services through a third-party site or service, some content and/or information in those accounts may be transmitted into your account with us.
Our Commercial or Business Purposes for Collecting or Disclosing Personal Data
- Providing, Customizing and Improving the Services
- Creating and managing your account or other user profiles.
- Processing orders or other transactions; billing.
- Providing you with the products, services or information you request.
- Meeting or fulfilling the reason you provided the information to us.
- Providing support and assistance for the Services.
- Improving the Services, including testing, research, internal analytics and product development, and training the models that power the Services. If you have a “Pro” account, you can opt out of our use of the content you provided to train our models in your account.
- Personalizing the Services, website content and communications based on your preferences.
- Doing fraud protection, security and debugging.
- Carrying out other business purposes stated when collecting your Personal Data or as otherwise set forth in applicable data privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (the “CCPA”).
- Marketing the Services
- Marketing and selling the Services.
- Corresponding with You
- Responding to correspondence that we receive from you, contacting you when necessary or requested, and sending you information about Alpaca or the Services.
- Sending emails and other communications according to your preferences or that display content that we think will interest you.
- Meeting Legal Requirements and Enforcing Legal Terms
- Fulfilling our legal obligations under applicable law, regulation, court order or other legal process, such as preventing, detecting and investigating security incidents and potentially illegal or prohibited activities.
- Protecting the rights, property or safety of you, Alpaca or another party.
- Enforcing any agreements with you.
- Responding to claims that any posting or other content violates third-party rights.
- Resolving disputes.
We will not collect additional categories of Personal Data or use the Personal Data we collected for materially different, unrelated or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
How We Disclose Your Personal Data
We disclose your Personal Data to the categories of service providers and other parties listed in this section. Depending on state laws that may be applicable to you, some of these disclosures may constitute a “sale” of your Personal Data. For more information, please refer to the state-specific sections below.
- Service Providers.These parties help us provide the Services or perform business functions on our behalf. They include:
- Hosting, technology and communication providers.
- Payment processors.
- Our payment processing partner Stripe, Inc. (“Stripe”) collects your voluntarily-provided payment card information necessary to process your payment.
- Advertising Partners.These parties help us market our services and provide you with other offers that may be of interest to you. They include:
- Our email communication partner Twilio, Inc
- Analytics Partners. These parties provide analytics on web traffic or usage of the Services. They include:
- Companies that track how users found or were referred to the Services.
- Companies that track how users interact with the Services.
- Parties You Authorize, Access or Authenticate
- Third parties you access through the services.
- Social media services.
- Other users.
We may share any Personal Data that we collect with third parties in conjunction with any of the activities set forth under “Meeting Legal Requirements and Enforcing Legal Terms” in the “Our Commercial or Business Purposes for Collecting Personal Data” section above.Business Transfers
All of your Personal Data that we collect may be transferred to a third party if we undergo a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy or other transaction in which that third party assumes control of our business (in whole or in part). Should one of these events occur, we will make reasonable efforts to notify you before your information becomes subject to different privacy and security policies and practices.Data that is Not Personal Data
We may create aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data from the Personal Data we collect, including by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to a particular user. We may use such aggregated, de-identified or anonymized data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze, build and improve the Services and promote our business, provided that we will not share such data in a manner that could identify you.
Tracking Tools and Opt-Out
We use the following types of Cookies:
- Essential Cookies Essential Cookies are required for providing you with features or services that you have requested. For example, certain Cookies enable you to log into secure areas of our Services. Disabling these Cookies may make certain features and services unavailable.
- Functional Cookies. Functional Cookies are used to record your choices and settings regarding our Services, maintain your preferences over time and recognize you when you return to our Services. These Cookies help us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
You can decide whether or not to accept Cookies through your internet browser’s settings. Most browsers have an option for turning off the Cookie feature, which will prevent your browser from accepting new Cookies, as well as (depending on the sophistication of your browser software) allow you to decide on acceptance of each new Cookie in a variety of ways. You can also delete all Cookies that are already on your device. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit our website and some of the Services and functionalities may not work.
To find out more information about Cookies generally, including information about how to manage and delete Cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org/ or https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/ if you are located in the European Union.
We seek to protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use and disclosure using appropriate physical, technical, organizational and administrative security measures based on the type of Personal Data and how we are processing that data. You should also help protect your data by appropriately selecting and protecting your password and/or other sign-on mechanism; limiting access to your computer or device and browser; and signing off after you have finished accessing your account. Although we work to protect the security of your account and other data that we hold in our records, please be aware that no method of transmitting data over the internet or storing data is completely secure.
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as necessary to provide you with our Services or to perform our business or commercial purposes for collecting your Personal Data. When establishing a retention period for specific categories of data, we consider who we collected the data from, our need for the Personal Data, why we collected the Personal Data, and the sensitivity of the Personal Data. In some cases we retain Personal Data for longer, if doing so is necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes or collect fees owed, or is otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, rule or regulation. We may further retain information in an anonymous or aggregated form where that information would not identify you personally.
- We retain your profile information and credentials for as long as you have an account with us.
- We retain your device/IP data for as long as we need it to ensure that our systems are working appropriately, effectively and efficiently.
Personal Data of Children
State Law Privacy RightsCalifornia Resident Rights
Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to contact us to prevent disclosure of Personal Data to third parties for such third parties’ direct marketing purposes; in order to submit such a request, please contact us at email@example.com.Nevada Resident Rights
If you are a resident of Nevada, you have the right to opt-out of the sale of certain Personal Data to third parties. You can exercise this right by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Nevada Do Not Sell Request” and providing us with your name and the email address associated with your account.
European Union and United Kingdom Data Subject RightsEU and UK Residents
If you are a resident of the European Union (“EU”), United Kingdom (“UK”), Lichtenstein, Norway or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU or UK General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) with respect to your Personal Data, as outlined below.
For this section, we use the terms “Personal Data” and “processing” as they are defined in the GDPR, but “Personal Data” generally means information that can be used to individually identify a person, and “processing” generally covers actions that can be performed in connection with data such as collection, use, storage and disclosure. Alpaca will be the controller of your Personal Data processed in connection with the Services.
The “Categories of Personal Data We Collect” section above details the Personal Data that we collect from you.Personal Data Use and Processing Grounds
The “Our Commercial or Business Purposes for Collecting Personal Data” section above explains how we use your Personal Data.
We will only process your Personal Data if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Lawful bases for processing include consent, contractual necessity and our “legitimate interests” or the legitimate interest of others, as further described below.
- Email address
- IP addresses
- Type of device/operating system/browser used to access the Services
- Photos and/or images
- Legitimate Interest: We process the following categories of Personal Data when we believe it furthers the legitimate interest of us or third parties:
- Job Title
- Providing, customizing and improving the Services.
- Marketing the Services.
- Corresponding with you.
- Meeting legal requirements and enforcing legal terms.
- Completing corporate transactions.
- Consent: In some cases, we process Personal Data based on the consent you expressly grant to us at the time we collect such data. When we process Personal Data based on your consent, it will be expressly indicated to you at the point and time of collection.
- Other Processing Grounds: From time to time we may also need to process Personal Data to comply with a legal obligation, if it is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or other data subjects, or if it is necessary for a task carried out in the public interest.
Sharing Personal Data
The “How We Share Your Personal Data” section above details how we share your Personal Data with third parties.EU Data Subject Rights
You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Data, including those set forth below. For more information about these rights, or to submit a request, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that in some circumstances, we may not be able to fully comply with your request, such as if it is frivolous or extremely impractical, if it jeopardizes the rights of others, or if it is not required by law, but in those circumstances, we will still respond to notify you of such a decision. In some cases, we may also need you to provide us with additional information, which may include Personal Data, if necessary to verify your identity and the nature of your request.
- Access: You can request more information about the Personal Data we hold about you and request a copy of such Personal Data by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rectification: If you believe that any Personal Data we are holding about you is incorrect or incomplete, you can request that we correct or supplement such data by contacting us at email@example.com.
- Erasure: You can request that we erase some or all of your Personal Data from our systems.
- Withdrawal of Consent: If we are processing your Personal Data based on your consent (as indicated at the time of collection of such data), you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note, however, that if you exercise this right, you may have to then provide express consent on a case-by-case basis for the use or disclosure of certain of your Personal Data, if such use or disclosure is necessary to enable you to utilize some or all of our Services.
- Portability: You can ask for a copy of your Personal Data in a machine-readable format. You can also request that we transmit the data to another controller where technically feasible.
- Objection: You can contact us to let us know that you object to the further use or disclosure of your Personal Data for certain purposes, such as for direct marketing purposes.
- Restriction of Processing: You can ask us to restrict further processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to File Complaint: You have the right to lodge a complaint about Alpaca's practices with respect to your Personal Data with the supervisory authority of your country or EU Member State. A list of Supervisory Authorities is available here: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
Transfers of Personal Data
The Services are hosted and operated in the United States (“U.S.”) through Alpaca and its service providers, and if you do not reside in the U.S., laws in the U.S. may differ from the laws where you reside. By using the Services, you acknowledge that any Personal Data about you, regardless of whether provided by you or obtained from a third party, is being provided to Alpaca in the U.S. and will be hosted on U.S. servers, and you authorize Alpaca to transfer, store and process your information to and in the U.S., and possibly other countries. In some circumstances, your Personal Data may be transferred to the U.S. pursuant to a data processing agreement incorporating standard data protection clauses.
- website: www.alpacaml.com
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- address: 2810 N Church St., PMB 17876, Wilmington, Delaware 19802, USA
If you are located in the EU or UK, you may use the following information to contact our Data Protection Officer and our EU or UK-Based Member Representative:
- EU: DP-Dock GmbH, Attn.: AlpacaML, Ballindamm 39, 20095 Hamburg, Germany
- UK: DP Data Protection Services UK Ltd., Attn.: AlpacaML, 16 Great Queen Street, Covent Garden, London, WC2B 5AH, United Kingdom